Connecting Tasmanian General Practices, GPs and practice nurses to key palliative care resources, referral points and support across all regions.
Navigating palliative care referral pathways can be complicated and it can take time to work through all the information relevant to your region.
PalliConnect For GPs is a purpose-built portal for General Practices, a ‘one stop’ resource enabling access to key relevant information and links pertaining to palliative care services.
Key Features include
- Easily accessible online resource that can be used by GP’s and their practices to support their patients
- Every GP across Tasmania including remote and regional can easily access local information
- Immediate up-to-date information about services and support and referral points
- Every page can be printed as a fact sheet for patients, copied to a file or emailed
- Each topic has been developed by by palliative care professionals
- Every page of the portal is consistent to ensure effective, quick and easy access to information
- Sector updates, resource releases and information about PCT GP training
This portal has been developed by Palliative Care Tasmania with the support of TasNetworks.
What was the need?
A key part of Palliative Care Tasmania’s (PCT) work in the community is the successful GP Education Program. Our educators visit General Practitioner’s (GPs) across the state to increase awareness of available palliative care services within Tasmania as GP’s are arguably the cornerstone of primary care in all communities.
The most common feedback was that navigating the palliative care referral pathway is complicated and that there is currently no ‘one stop’ resource enabling access to all current relevant information and links pertaining to palliative care services.
PCT developed a flow chart demonstrating the referral pathway in Tasmania for a palliative patient, this is available online and in a hard copy format.
However, the most common request received about this is, can this be accessed online in an interactive way.
This missing link would reduce confusion for many GPs and assist in providing better palliative care for patients and their families.
With the support of the TasNetworks Resilient Communities Grant, PCT was able to develop this online tool.